Leeds, West Yorkshire
Up to £30.00 per annum
8 months ago
Research and Development Electrical Design Engineer
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an Electrical Design Engineer to work as part of the Research & Development Department based in Leeds.
It involves working closely with a team of mechanical, controls, manufacturing and quality engineers to design and develop new standard HVAC products whilst maintaining the existing portfolio.
The role consists of working with the Product Development teams to develop new electrical product designs in accordance with APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning) and relevant SOM guidelines from concept through to full product launch. You will aid the Chief Electrical Engineer & Lead Mechanical Engineers where necessary and as a team will be responsible for creating design briefs for companywide approval, hitting cost targets, designing electrical infrastructure of products with customer, manufacturing and assembly in mind to allow labour targets, project timescales, technical features, training and all critical deliverables to be met.
- Responsible for improving the electrical aspects of product innovation and customer focus of company's standard products.
- Assist in formulating unit electrical design and controls operation briefs for approval.
- Ensure electrical aspects of new components are properly tested prior to introduction.
- Oversee electrical build, wiring best practice, test and approval of prototypes.
- To ensure appropriate standards and approvals and testing is carried out (i.e. EMC testing).
- To conduct product introduction support and training.
- To ensure the appropriate design modifications are released informing all concerned of engineering changes.
- Carry out electrical design on a range of HVAC systems, for both new and existing ranges, ensuring safe operation and compliance with relevant legislation.
- Selection/sizing of appropriate electrical components, motors, cabling etc using engineering design calculations and best practice.
- Communicate internally at all levels to provide technical advice or suggestions for improvement to design.
- Communicate with internal customers to provide product technical advice/support
- Attend site meetings and trade shows where required.
- Build standard electrical CAD drawing generators, symbol libraries and circuits using AutoCAD software
- Produce accurate parts lists.
- Design control panel layouts.
- Design terminal lists and layouts.
- Assist & liaise with mechanical and controls engineers
- Hold a technical degree and/or have experience with electrical design, preferably within the HVAC or Machine design sector although all experience will be considered.
- Must be able to innovate and be able to support ideas thorough to implementation.
- Knowledge of CE marking process.
- Knowledge/understanding of PLC controllers.
- Experience with both 3 phase power circuits & low voltage control circuits.
- Experience with HVAC application and knowledge of cooling and heating systems (Not essential)
- Ability to source appropriate components.
- Knowledge and awareness of current legislation affecting electrical design
- Ability to work pro-actively, using own initiative
- Be able to produce high quality accurate information.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Strong team working skills
- Have good written & communication skills
- Experience of the following software :
- Electrical CAD Software (i.e. Promis-e / AutoCAD Electrical)
- AutoCAD (2D Modelling)
- Solid Edge (3D Modelling)
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
Although a high base level of Electrical knowledge is expected, training will be provided for the right applicant to develop the skills & knowledge required for the position.