Common candidate mistakes
Are you looking for a job? Here are some common mistakes to avoid.
- Always check your CV for spelling mistakes (simple I know). Try not to use slang words such as ‘etc’ or ‘coz’. Just remember you are selling yourself.
- Keep your CV tidy and keep it short and to the point. Also make sure it is easy to read, simple black text all in the same font.
- It is not uncommon for people to have funny emails such as ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ but just remember that your potential employer will read this. Is that how you want to come across?
- Always write a short cover letter with your CV, introducing yourself a little and explain your key selling points. Highlight your best features and be confident.
- Express your enthusiasm for the job. Make sure you don’t come across as a monotone person. Smile even if you are nervous to show that you believe in yourself.
- This is a simple tip to remember but it is very common to forget. Always turn your phone off!! There is nothing professional about your phone ringing in the interview